Day 200: American Gangster (Scott, 2007)



This is a film I bought on DVD upon its release because I was just so excited to see it! ... I've only just seen it...

I love gangster movies and so this seemed like my kind of film, especially when I heard Ridley Scott was involved, the reason it took me five years to watch was because it is so goddamn long! At 157 minutes (and that's the shorter cut of the film!) it took two sittings (I get restless!), but it really was worth it. It's not a stereotypical gangster movie, which I thought would lessen my enthusiasm for it but it didn't. Russell Crowe is brilliant and borderline likable and Denzel Washington is amazing and brings a whole new feel to gangster films.

As for Scott's direction, it's flawless as usual. I initially thought that for him to attempt a gangster film might be a little challenging for him, but it was seamless and slick from start to finish. This is another one I loved and one I didn't want to end - even if it was 157 minutes...


1 Response to "Day 200: American Gangster (Scott, 2007)"

  1. jim0wheel says:

    Very soon, we shall watch the extended cut (175 mins)!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger